The companies of the NUTRISET Group and members of the Plumpyfield network in Guinea (Nutriguinée), Nigeria (NutriK-Dansa), Niger (STA), Burkina-Faso (InnoFaso), Sudan (Samil), Ethiopia (Hilina Enriched Foods), as well as Nutriset in France, have signed the IAM Africa charter.
On the sidelines of One Planet Summit 2020, more than 100 operators from across the agricultural value chain, launched IAM Africa. A coalition of private and public actors, committed to the protection and preservation of biodiversity, a global common good, and to the development of sustainable agricultural sectors.
More than 100 European and African actors have signed a charter of commitment in favor of the development of agro-pastoral sectors in Africa and in particular in the Sahel.
This unprecedented multilateral initiative seeks to resize and secure agricultural cooperation between Europe and Africa while ensuring the protection of biodiversity, a global common good. It formalized at the Élysée Palace, in the presence of the President of the French Republic, Emmanuel Macron, the President of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania Mohamed Ould Cheikh El-Ghazaouani, and HRH, the Prince of Wales.
The IAM Africa charter brings together the complementary skills of African actors invested in these sectors and Europeans recognized for their technical and financial expertise as well as their experience in issues related to African development, with the aim of:
• Strengthen the commercial action of each of these actors on the African continent by creating a group effect mobilized around a coherent set of activities without will or restrictive effect of competition with regard to third parties not party to this charter ;
• Promote agricultural excellence by proposing a comprehensive approach in the service of effective and sustainable development of the structuring sectors of livestock and agriculture;
• Develop a close partnership with African actors in the agricultural and livestock sectors to promote and strengthen family farms and their organization, within the framework of fair and sustainable agriculture;
• Commit to participate in achieving the 2030 goals of the Great Green Wall. The Sahelian strip is identified as one of the global "hotspots" for climate change.
Agriculture is a main lever for the development of the African continent and must be modernized, in particular through agroecology, digital agriculture and social business, must once again become a priority. It is an economic, social, environmental, security and democratic issue.
The coalition and the partners of the IAM Africa charter have four commitments:
• Viability & economic sustainability: the sectors promoted must be efficient and competitive in the long term.
• Respect for the environment and natural resources: activities must be responsible and have a positive impact on their environment. In the Sahel, in consideration of climate issues, agricultural practices preserving biodiversity and all natural resources will be systematically highlighted.
• Social equity & co-development: structured sectors will ensure fair remuneration for producers.
• Transparency: The charter partners undertake to publish once a year a public document on all of their activities
Aware that Africa represents an exceptional growth lever, the companies of the Plumpyfield network and the Nutriset Group are joining forces with the partners of the "I AM Africa" ??coalition to jointly explore and develop value chains that specifically meet African challenges.
More information on I AM Africa www.iam-africa.org
More information on PlumpyField www.plumpyfield.com