After the first two editions held in France at Nutriset (October 2009, October 2011), the third international meeting of the PlumpyField® network took place from 25 to 28 March at our partner in Ethiopia, Hilina Foods, in Addis Ababa.
Eleven members of the network and 21 participants got together for 4 days to exchange views and reflect.
Participants have especially discussed the different ways to strengthen the cohesion and relevance of this unique network of RUSF and RUTF local producers. Here is an overview of debates on the agenda:
- Quality: how can all the local partners keep the expected quality levels in an always more demanding context? How Nutriset and the network members could optimize its model?
- Diversification of products and recipients. Beyond emergency or prevention products, what are the services expected by the PlumpyField network?
- Incorporation of new local raw materials in production
- The different enhancement levers for processes and for the competitiveness of network members.
- Overview about the RUF industry, the current food aid policies and the place of the network.
The meeting in Addis Ababa also was a chance to meet Ethiopian health partners as well as local representatives of international organizations.
In 2012, the network provided 35% of the ready-to-use nutritional products used by humanitarian stakeholders. In 2013, it is composed of 11 members, 7 of which are based in Africa, 1 in India, 2 in Central America and 1 associated member in the USA.