The treatment of infantile diarrhea
Second leading cause of death in children under five years old, diarrhoeal disease is both preventable and treatable. Each year diarrhoea kills around 525 000 children under five. (Source: World Health Organization, "Diarrhoeal disease" Fact sheet, Updated May 2017)
Several studies showed that:
- By giving zinc as soon as diarrhea starts, the duration and severity will be reduced.
- By continuing zinc supplementation after diarrhea stops, the zinc lost in the stools will be replaced. Thus, the risk of the child having new episodes of diarrhea in the following 2 to 3 months is reduced.
Given the dramatic consequences of diarrhea for children under five and the results highlighted by the studies, WHO and UNICEF, in 2004, issued a joint statement for the clinical management of acute diarrhea, recommending to use Zinc in conjunction with ORS for the treatment and prevention of Acute Diarrhea.
Following a request from the WHO for a dispersible zinc sulphate tablet, Nutriset and his pharmaceutical partner L.P Rodael developed a 20 mg Zinc supplement meeting with the WHO specifications.
ZinCfant® 20 mg is prequalified by WHO since 2008.
ZinCfant® 20 mg is the ideal zinc supplement for effectively fighting childhood diarrhea. It has many advantages:
• Easy, quick and precise dosage: zinc intake is guaranteed by its tablet format allowing an exact dose of 20 mg
• Acceptability: the taste of zinc is masked by a pleasant vanilla flavor
• Easy to use: the dispersible tablet becomes a dose to drink with a few drops of drinking water or breast milk
• Made in France: designed by Nutriset and manufactued by LP Roadel, following international quality standards
This product is available in 2 sizes:
- Box of 100 tablets, containing 10 blisters of 10 tablets, intended for the institutional market
- Box of 10 tablets, containing 1 blister of 10 tablets, for the private market (prescriber)
ZinCfant® is suitable in the treatment of diarrhea together with the new low osmolarity formula of Oral Rehydratation Salts (ORS).
For babies from 2 to 6 months: ½ tablet once daily for 10 consecutive days.
For children between 6 months and 5 years of age: 1 full tablet once daily for 10 consecutive days.
Conditions of use
• Place the tablet in a teaspoon
• Add a few drops (5 ml) of drinking water or breast milk
• Let the tablet disperse (arround 45 seconds)
• Give the entire spoonful to the child
For more information, refer to wHO / UNICEF joint statement.